Saturday, July 17, 2010

Running running running

So I ran 8 miles today and to use the word hard to describe the run just doesn't do it. It was excruciatingly hard and took me 1 hour and 39 min. I have a list of excuses as to why my time was so poor and at the end of the day they are just excuses, non the less, I would like to list them.

* It was HOT! I should have been getting back at the time I left because it was too blasted hot to run. The first 4 miles was on an unshaded hot bike path by mile 3 I had to stop and walk for at least a half mile
* I stupidly brought my huge dog. My husband wants me to take him with me on my long runs but he is just not properly leashed trained and too huge for me to control. The first 5 miles I ran I was pulling back on him, adding resistance and extra effort on my part. The last 3 he was tired but ran in front of me and kept stopping suddenly to turn around and check on me causing me to practically fall on top of him.
* The mosquitoes were terrible and I had to slap them off my leg every so often.
* My new shoes hurt my feet. By the end of the 8 miles the balls of my feet ached with every step.

As I said they are just excuses but now I have a base to improve on. Today my legs are tired and I can't seem to drink enough water. I'm medicating myself with M&M's- a great choice. I'm sure I've eaten 8 miles worth of M&M's which leads me to the all too often asked question... Why do I do that?

Today is also the Gard family reunion. As we ate lunch I looked around at the family surrounding us and I was impressed. They were all very fit and skinny. It was nothing like the family reunions from my side of the family. I was very grateful at that moment for the 25+lbs I've lost. Without losing that I would have felt very self conscious and awkward. Instead I felt comfortable and enjoyed seeing family and playing kick ball. I think my husband's family is awesome for being so fit and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment