Saturday, August 14, 2010

Made my day

So I saw one of my Weight Watchers/Running friends while I was out today, running, and it just made my day. I don't know why but it inspired me to keep going knowing she was out too- I'm not alone in this world of running. Ever since I started running over three miles I've gotten a lot of comments like "Wow! Are you crazy?" "I could never do that." "12 miles! That's insane I think I might hurt myself doing that." "That is SO FAR!" Everyone means well when they say those things but it does make me wonder, am I really crazy for doing this? That's why its important to have friends in the sport I guess and made me so excited to see Lara out. Lara is faster, skinnier and older then me but she is all so my height so I look at her and think "that's my goal. I can do what she is doing"

I just started reading a great book about women and running and I'm only a few pages into it but I love it. It talks about why women are great runners. We can never really be faster then men but running mostly just takes a good pair of running shoes and dedication and women can be really dedicated and goal oriented. Just think about it we're more organized the men, we are mothers, wives, employees, house cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks, therapists just to name a few of our responsibilities. The secret to being a runner is to follow your training schedule and not give up. I've given birth to 4 children, naturally, by golly I can flipping run a few miles.

I also think as women we understand the physiological part of running. Men want to run fast and win, women do too but that's not all. We understand the personal therapy that comes with being alone and running. My runs are just about the only time I'm ever alone, I never want to give up that time.

So in short, I think women are amazing.

Yes, I ran my 9 miles today and I feel good about it. Much better then the other runs this week. I'm getting nervous for race day though. Can I really do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment