Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pink Ribbon 5k

Today was the annual health fair, breast cancer research 5k/10k. Last year I ran the 10k and got lost, this year, it was a bit different! I "ran" the 5k, kinda. My goal was to come in before all the walkers and I did! Even though it was a breast cancer run, the lady running the event even said we were supporting all types of cancer. It seemed like a very appropriate thing to do today as a friend of mine lost her husband to leukemia this morning. I felt like I was actually running for a cause. My friend Jenna ran it with me and I am so glad! Running by yourself is enjoyable when you are pushing to beat a time and really racing, but when you run like I do right now it can be incredibly boring. We talked the entire time and just had fun.


So running for me is most obviously difficult. Funny thing is I physically can not run fast enough to really get my heart rate up. It raises a little but I can fairly comfortably carry on a conversation the whole time. I physically cannot move my legs fast enough to get a great work out, which is probably a good thing. The thing that slows me down is just how uncomfortable and painful the weight of this baby is on my middle. I'm good for the first mile and then I have to walk occasionally to ease the pressure.

Still, I love it. Can't wait to run not pregnant, but I really enjoy running still. It makes me feel better. Funny thing is, yesterday I felt horrible. Standing, walking, bending just moving in general made me miserable. By evening I was lying on the couch. Today, I feel good. My legs are tired but I don't feel like I'd rather die then walk upstairs. I really think exercise is the best thing for this preggo lady.

I think I will do the hospice 5k next weekend if I'm still feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment